Where am I?

Created this blog to document my travels, experiences & thoughts thru Central & South America but hell plan to blog my travels to where ever. Goofy harmless Free Spirit hoping to spend most of my time with locals & enjoy the world! So hang on as I travel, drink cervezas, raise a little hell, maybe piss off a few people & hopefully not give Canadians a bad reputation! Of course don't do these things on purpose but while having a good time well "Shit Happens"!

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Spent all last night at the Day (Night) of the Dead!

Wow spent the night of Nov at the Dia de Los Muertos in Patzcuaro which is about a 40 min bus ride from Morelia http://www.vivatravelguides.com/central-america/mexico/mexico-articles/patzcuaro-day-of-the-dead/

An Aussie mate Julian (who I met at the hostel here) and I decided to see more of the night by going on a bus tour! Now normally I´m not a tour person(and won´t be for awhile) . But decided due to logistics of having a few drinks and taking buses between 4 towns Morelia, Patzcuaro, Tzintzuntzan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4H7WzetpP8&feature=related and a 4th town that I can´t remember the name. We were gone from about 6 PM until 3:30 AM and hit a whole bunch of cemetaries, churches, markets, towns, etc.

But what made the trip memorable from what I can remember was that we got into the wine in the afternoon. Beer at the bar while waiting for the bus, picked up a liter bottle of Mezcal (the country cousin of Tequila, both made by distilling the fermented juice of agave plants in Mexico)for $1.60. Then of course we were forced to drink Tequila in a sort of guewine drink at various stops. So u can imagine what shape we were in as we travelled thru the night. Also not sure what some of the Mexicans thought of us. But they were all friendly and fun to hang with and hey even won a Morelia baseball cap for singing a Mexican song when others feared to thread.

Everyone kept telling me that it´s cold here in the mtns at night. But you know I didn´t really feel cold in my shorts and tank top! But just in case I had bought a $12 hoodie at Woolworths which I believe is the predescessor of Walmart! Heck I didn´t realize they have the big Box Stores - Home Depot and Costco here in Mexico. Hey just to save a $1 I almost thought about going to Costco to buy 5 tubes of toothpaste and deodorant! But somehow I couldn´t justify carrying all those in my back pack!

Oh yeah now I know why they call it the Day of Dead! Cuz u go out all Sat night and then on Sun it feels like the Day of the Dead! But hey we still made it out to Patzcuaro on Sun to check out janitizio (the island in lake janitizio). So we took a boat to Isla Janitzio, which is an Indian community devoted to fishing and tourism.
We had a fun day wandering the crooked lanes of this tiny island, visiting shops and restaurants, and eventually climbing to the armpit of this weird statue of Jose Maria Morelos, priest turned freedom fighter. Yeah that climb up the hill and up the statue nearly did me in. But if u know me at all when there´s something to be seen u can be sure no matter what my condiiton is I´ll be there.

No comments:

Followers