Where am I?

Created this blog to document my travels, experiences & thoughts thru Central & South America but hell plan to blog my travels to where ever. Goofy harmless Free Spirit hoping to spend most of my time with locals & enjoy the world! So hang on as I travel, drink cervezas, raise a little hell, maybe piss off a few people & hopefully not give Canadians a bad reputation! Of course don't do these things on purpose but while having a good time well "Shit Happens"!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Off to Volunteer at the Voltex Music Festival only to hear that SA's beloved Madiba/Nelson Mandela had passed away! Wow what a historic time to be present in S.A. on that sad, memorable occasion for such a Great Man!! Dec 2013

Took a bus down to Capetown to do that Volunteering Gig at the Vortex Music Festival
Dec 5 - 9! So took the Baz Bus down to Capetown and stayed at the Penthouse Guesthouse on Long street the main street of Capetown 
http://www.penthouseonlong.com/  However found out the Vortex Festival was being held 2 hours outside of the city! I got a ride to the festival but shit when arrived well realized that didn't bring any money so decided to take the same ride back and return the next morning! But while was in Capetown we heard the sad that Nelson Mandela had passed away! So everyone in the Penthouse Guesthouse on Long Street where I was staying wanted to toast Nelson Mandela so everyone in the bar bought Shooters so unfortunately was up most of the night and missed my ride back to the Music Festival!!

Wow to be in South Africa on the day that Nelson Mandela/Madiba passed away was historic, memorable & so sad. 
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2013/12/06/nelson-mandela-madiba-meaning/3889469/ 
My sister wrote me & sumarized it best "can't imagine what this is like - cuz he was such an incredible example of the power of the human spirit, a fantastic role model to us all on resiliency and reconciliation. I feel that the world has been diminished in some way by his passing."  So when word came down of his passing, a couple peep in the bar of my guest house bought shooter rounds to toast the spirit of a man who's awesome inspirational and spirit led to a new nation! Shit that was the start of a crazy night of drinking & socializing with various Africans of all colors! Fuk ended talking to this intelligent hot black African journalist chick as got her slant on SA till about 4 AM while being a bit shit faced! Boy found her so articulate & interesting that lost track of time!

So when I finally got my shit together to return to the Music Festival hell cudn't score another ride so hell was able to make it back to volunteer at the festival!!! http://www.capetownmagazine.com/vortex-trance-party
So unfortunately fuking ended up missing my ride back to my Volunteerng gig this AM at the Vortex Music Festival which left yesterday as forgot to take money!!! Shit it was so hard to score a ride in the first place so my chances of scoring another ride there are like "Slim" & "None"!! And fuk "Slim" just left to go back to Vortex!!!!

So in the meantime while hanging around trying to score a ride learned from talking to various peep some interesting things! A South African friend posted this which want to share with U who haven't been to SA and felt how the peep feel there!!

Things like “No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” ~ Nelson Mandela from Long Walk to Freedom, 1994
#LivingTheLegacy  
Met an African chick who posted an Black African's point of view of how Madiba (Nelson Mandela's African name) impacted her post Apartheid Life! So thought fuk also want to share this with my FB friends who havent been to South Africa so havent met the peep or felt the vibes & unity among the peep! Bcuz this person told me that true solidarity between the races will not happen until after the generation that lived during Apartheid have left the earth! Cuz most of those peep of both races still carry their old prejudices & have even passed on some of this to their kids! Fuk when I've talked to some of these black peep they call me "Boss" or "Sir" & fuk I tell them "hey Im not your Boss or your superior cuz we're equal"!! Shit thats how badly it was ingrained in them!! Man Ur talking to me a fuking Visible Minority (fuking dislike being refered to as an Asian or Japanese but rather a Visible Minority cuz was born in Canada of Japanese ancestory!!) Maybe thats why make friends so easily with black Africans & get along great with white Africans cuz below the surface we both dont give a fuk about much as just like to enjoy Life plus most S. Africans like to smoke weed & Im a fuking Stoner who just drifts around! the world!! Fuk the older white generation also have crazy fuking ideas ingrained in them! While in Durban asked a guy where the shared taxis (leaves when the mini van is full & mostly used by blacks) stand was aa wanted to go somewhere! Well fuk this older white African woman who was standing near having a smoke heard me & told me "You mustnt go in those vans as U could be stabbed!" WTF kind of shit was that cuz lady thats all I ride here!! Unfortunately in Capetown dont use shared taxis cuz peep are usually in more of a hurry which is personally one thing dislike about Capetown! Its a beautiful city but fuk its even less African then rest of S. Africa which is not really Africa but more like Europe!! Fuk love the real Africa more than the water down version which is kinda European! But enuf of this shit read the attachment as found it mind opening!!

I understand on Madiba's passing that the SABC channels were playing nothing but tributes to Madiba the entire day! I see all who are complaining about it, but I have must say I don't mind. I think not everyone (especially the Born Frees http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/07/world/africa/south-africas-born-frees-move-past-apartheid.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0) understand exactly who Madiba was and why he will remain a world icon. A S.African colored person told me in " Someone asked me last night how we benefitted from his release from prison - heres what I replied, its obviously my opinion, others might feel differently ....
How did it benefit us - let me see - I now have the right to vote, I can buy a property anywhere no one tell me where I can live and where not, my children can go to any school, I can study at any learning institution of my choice, I am the master of my own destiny and before being allowed the priviledge of voting, this was not possible. I am not politically affilliated - and that's ok - because its my choice. In this day and age to hear about a political leader who people thought of as a grandfather, no whispers of the word corruption around them - a man who made sacrifices not for his own benefit but for that of a nation. A man who inspired the world - so yes I admire this man greatly I don't even think his children can come close to the man he was. As far as the political unrest after his release, I am not in the inner circle of the politicians but I do realise that there's always a power play happening, all I know is that I know a great leader when I see one, I am hoping that his death serves as a reminder to the ANC of today of what the vision was for this country. For me Nelson Mandela was a man with his faults, however for me he epitomises the concept of forgiveness. I know I find it hard to forget those who have done me wrong, that he could let go of anger and bitterness for the greater good says much about the goodness that was Madiba. So yes - those are my reasons why he is a hero, an icon and a mere mortal ... With a good heart - and as far as I am concerned the world could do with a few more Madiba's - sadly they are few and far between"!                                                                 
Another S.African told me "Today I experienced both the high and low points of my life. The Madiba memorial at FNB was more than I could ever have imagined. Then on the walk back to the car near riverlea I saw a guy get stabbed really badly in the back. Street fight between two guys. It happened so quickly that passers by couldn't intervene quickly enough. And it was a proper coward move. The fight had already ended and he snuck up on the other guy. It's time to change things South Africa. Things cannot go on this way."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Nelson_Mandela

Anyways OK so I fuked up arrangements & had to spend 5 days in Capetown trying to score a ride back to volunteer at this music festival!! Shit waited around the entire day to find out if could get a ride & then fukin ended up couldn't get a ride! So while waiting around Capetown well ended up partying even if being in a city is not my scene while traveling plus well its too fukin much like Europe! Hell Capetown has lot of nice sights tho didn't see anything as shit couldn't even be bothered hiking up Table Mtn like all the other tourists! 

Hell funniest thing while in Capetown was meeting a Gay Congolese! Bcuz the term is a hoot especially if U met him as hell had never met someone from the Congo & then to top it off the dude is Gay! Meeting a Gay dude isn't that strange but when this guy got drunk he became a stereotype gay ( sorry not being homophobic)! But fuk feel sorry for the dude as he couldnt go back home cuz they jail Gays & hell he was harmless! Also met another gay South African at my Guesthouse cuz shit guess Capetown must be the Gay capital of S. Africa!! But if a person is open minded & not homophobic hell gay peep are fun to party with! 

But after 5 days of that shit needed to chill so headed back to the little village of Wilderness up the east coast to chill as met some cool locals to hang with especially a nice sweet South African of Indian descent!!!!! Hell I've learned that it doesn't matter the color of a person cuz nice cool peep are awesome to hang out with no matter what race or nationality they are!
Most African countries are crying about freedom for Blacks & Coloreds! So throw in freedom from persecution for sexual, religious, speech & why NOT cannabis freedom as well! Cuz fuk peep it was 2013 (soon to be 2014) So thought let's get Ur shit together as can't fuking understand why peep aren't allowed to Live their Life to find Happiness cuz hell they aren't hurting anyone! Shit my theory is "If all Guys were Gays then maybe some of us could find a chick"!!!!!!! LOLhttp://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25463942

Also while hanging out in Capetown read this link and thought how cool to see a little girl live this, good on her parents for raising her to be Hard Ass so know when she grows up no asshole guy's going to fuk with her! Love chicks like this as sure she'll be a beautiful independent chick!!!

"A Little Girl Who Grew Up Alongside Wild Animals in Africa"

With both her parents being nature photographers, Tippi Degre has had one amazing childhood. Before she was born, her French parents relocated to Namibia, Africa where she grew up alongside wild animals such as zebras, elephants, cheetahs, and lions. Instead of playing with dolls, Tippi was out kissing toads and riding on the backs and trunks of elephants. Can you imagine how incredible this must have been?



Then returned to Wilderness after the Vortex Festival was over and stayed there for a couple weeks! Then had an invitation to spend Christmas in Abu Dhabi which was totally unexpected but so exciting to spend Christmas with my daughter & her new husband live (as they just got married earlier in the year)! 




No comments:

Followers