Where am I?

Created this blog to document my travels, experiences & thoughts thru Central & South America but hell plan to blog my travels to where ever. Goofy harmless Free Spirit hoping to spend most of my time with locals & enjoy the world! So hang on as I travel, drink cervezas, raise a little hell, maybe piss off a few people & hopefully not give Canadians a bad reputation! Of course don't do these things on purpose but while having a good time well "Shit Happens"!

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hey Placencia Belize is a real chilled place & the Creoles are such cool people who call everyone Brother!

Really like Belize at least Placencia which is a pennisula sticking out in the Carribean from the Mainland. I think it used to be an island but they've built a road to connect it to the mainland. So the road looks like about 3 km long.
Yesterday I woke up early and ran the road for about 8 km or 5 miles to the next village. It was on a dirt road and thru construction by a lot of empy resort places as this seems to be the low season for a couple more weeks. Can't remember the village I ran to but it was pretty well 3rd world as all it had was old worn out wooden buildings. I talked to a couple of locals hanging around the dock and they said I could take the beach back. So ran a bit on the beach but there was so much trash and crap that it was hard to run. But it was nice to see the area around Placencia.

Placencia is made up mostly of Creole (Black people who speak their own pigeon English) who I really like as they are easy to talk to and so laidback. This is probably the nicest spot I've been to on my trip. There's not much to do but just chill! It’s qute small with about 1000 people mostly Creoles (descendents of Africans) and very laid back. I like the black people on the island as I’ve always gotten along with Blacks and their laid back ways. They’re a little different than the Spanish speaking people in that they’re not very aggressive in selling things or having u come to their hotel, etc. Checked into this small place Omar’s Place and we asked if they wanted us to register but they said tomorrow’s OK. Omar’s quite a character and likes to talk so him and I get along great.

We’ve hit a problem cuz the weather has turned cooler with wind and rain. But people in a place always say “It’s suppose to be unusual for Dec as it should be hot!” But I can always move on but I kinda like this place as so chilled that I’ll hang around here a couple days to check out the scene.


Oh I did make it to my first Kareoke bar last night! Here I was the only non Black in this bar trying to sing Kareoke with all the Blacks. I did find out that I can't carry a tune as I seem to either sing (actually talk the words) too slow or too fast. I was trying to sing a Bob Marley song that would make Bob turn over in his grave. But I was starting to catch on how to do it but the bar closed down at midnight. I don't know why the bars and resturants close down so early in these Central American countries. Maybe it's to keep ppl from getting too drunk.

I've kind of been hanging out at this small eatery owned by a young Belizian couple. Shane is from Belize but lived in the US for a few years so is like an American. His wife is from South Africa but also lived in the US. They're really cool and a bunch of other Creoles also come by so I chat with them as they're all so friendly. These are the type of people I like to hang out with and talk and listen to reggae.

I'm staying in the dorm at Omar's Place which is pretty basic but Omar and his family are really nice and I like to kid around with Omar. He was so excited this morning cuz they arrested the previous Prime Minister who embezzled millions from the country. But of course he has reservations if they will get the money back. Sounds like my time in Kenya (plus a whole lot of other countries) where they've been trying to get the money that their former leaders embezzled. We have crappy leaders but at least they're a little more discreet on how they get rich.

But all good things come to an end and I'll be pushing off on the same wild boat ride back to Hondorus cuz it's the quickest way to get back to Hondorus. I can bypass returning to Hondorus if I take the ferry.

But I think I wouldn't mind returning to Belize and hang out with the Creoles again as they remind of African and Carribean people.

No comments:

Followers