Where am I?

Created this blog to document my travels, experiences & thoughts thru Central & South America but hell plan to blog my travels to where ever. Goofy harmless Free Spirit hoping to spend most of my time with locals & enjoy the world! So hang on as I travel, drink cervezas, raise a little hell, maybe piss off a few people & hopefully not give Canadians a bad reputation! Of course don't do these things on purpose but while having a good time well "Shit Happens"!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Here I am, one of the only Non Divers hanging with an island full of Divers on the Island of Utila, Bay of Islands Honduras!



There was crappy weather in Belize so caught the 9:30 am ferry ride out of Placencia. But not until we waited 2 hrs for an Immigration dude to come and stamp our passport. Then took another a wild Boat ride from Placencia, Belize to Porto Cortes, Honduras. Which meant another trip to Honduras immigration, trip to the ATM for cash, bite to eat at the local Burger King (barf) & a 4 hrs mini bus ride to La Ceibe Honduras, overnight stay, & another wild boat ride to Utila, Bay of Islands. So what do we have in Utila Island but Dam crappy weather awaited us there too!

Utila is sort of the Mecca for Scuba Divers in Central America. The island is part of the Bay of Islands of which Roantan Island is the largest and most well known island. However it is also the most commercial and expensive island. So very few travellers end up there unless they know someone to sponge off! But I've never been one to meet people and visit or stay I guess.

So been staying at this Dive Shop for $6 a night for the 5 days as I've run into some old travelling mates I've met in past places. They've been trying to talk me into doing some diving some too but haven't been successful. I have trouble equalizing my eardrums plus I kind of get claustophobia so diving wouldn't work. Plus it costs$25 a dive or 250 USD to get qualified to dive. There are a lot of keen divers and newbies but few ppl like myself around. So just sleeping in when others are diving. Then goofing off the rest of the day. It's a great place to hang around as the ppl are all cool. My Dutch travelling partner showed up yesterday so now we can make plans to leave. But he met a Scottish guy on the ferry and he's having a birthday Wed so we'll probably leave on Thur to Nicaguara.

The first night I got here the Dive Shop had a Booze Cruise which was a gas! The boat left the dock at 5 PM with about 30 people on a small dive boat. It had stopped raining so it was beautiful out and ppl were diving off the roof of the boat. then around 9 pm we went to the dock and they had prepared a Bundu which is basically a Fish soup/stew. It's a Carribean dish using Wahoo fish which is a well eaten fish around here. They had this massive pot about 2 ft high and about 2 ft across. There were potatos, carrots, bread fruit (sort of a dumpling) and loads of other stuff in it. All I know is it was like really delicious and free! Everyone ate so much but there was still some left over. Then everyone retired to the bar and drank and carried on. Then at 3 am a few of us came back and ate some more Bandu.

That pretty much covers my day staying at Atltons Dive Shop. If u don't dive there isn't a lot to do but maybe snorkel so may try that. But I have walked and ran the street as far out as I could go the other day. So we'll see what the next few days brings.

Yeah pretty much a lot of partying followed ub the 7 days on the idea.

1 comment:

Andy HoboTraveler.com said...

I appreciate you saying your paying 6 dollars for a room. I came through Central America 8 years ago and the world was cheap. I hear Belize is outrageous. I should go and buy a Lonely Planet so I can move south from Guatemala. Nonetheless it really helps travelers when you way the price of things you do, many sites try to hype up the price of things so they can make money. Thanks from Andy of HoboTraveler.com in Guatemala Travel Blog and Hotels

Followers