Where am I?

Created this blog to document my travels, experiences & thoughts thru Central & South America but hell plan to blog my travels to where ever. Goofy harmless Free Spirit hoping to spend most of my time with locals & enjoy the world! So hang on as I travel, drink cervezas, raise a little hell, maybe piss off a few people & hopefully not give Canadians a bad reputation! Of course don't do these things on purpose but while having a good time well "Shit Happens"!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Essouira is the cool beach town that Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley hung ot in their days








































Hell as usual the bus ride that was supposed to be 3 hrs turned actally took 5 hrs. But that was OK as Essouira is a cool chill city or town by the ocean. It has a cool Medina (old town) to hang out in and is the only place for action in town. So scored me a cheap hotel (there are no hostels in Africa that Ive seen in Morocco or in East Africa) for 5o DH or 8 CAD. But think it was too near he ocean cus my room was full of sand it seemed. Also my pack was covered by dust from dust from the bus trip but have to get used to it cus figure it will only get worse as I move south.

So the next morning I moved to another shitty cheap hotel more in the middle of the Medina. Then headed to the bus station to check out the prices and times for the bus south along the coast to Mauritania. It turns out the bus leaves every day at 2 pm costs 400 DH,40 Euros or $55 CAD and takes 26 hrs to get to Daklaha which is the last town to go by bus. So after that it should become more interesting cus will have to bum a ride thru Mauritania by paying some people with 4X4's driving thru to Senegal. So have no idea how I'm going to get there until I get to Daklaha!

But shit won't worry about that till I get there I suppose. In the meantime it was time to check out Essouira. Then when I was walking down the street I run into Mathjis and Lisa again. This was the second time I ran into them in Morocco after we left Barcelona weeks ago. so it was cool to see and hang with them again. They had just arrived the night before like me after leaving Fez and spending a day or so in Marrakesch too. They also thought Marrakesch was a pain in the ass cus of all the hawkers trying to sell u things.

So we went for a walk to the beach all afternoon as it was a bit of a walk to these sand dunes on the beach. It was really nice to finally get to a beach even though we were just walking on it not laying sun cus not thing. There were people kite surfing and wind surfing cus it was really windy. The German chick had done a lot of kite surfing and wanted to do it so arranged to do it the next day.

Hell we sat behind the sand dunes just chilling and having a smoke so we got covered in sand. So even though we got covered in sand it was an awesome day hanging in the sun as first time for me on this trip. But found later shit my hotel charged me 10 DH or $1.50 CAD for a shower which most of these local hotels charge. But shit decided to wash my clothes instead cus could do it in my room.

Mathjis and Lisa were staying in a cool Morocco style apt from this lady. It cost 250 DH or $32 CAD a night but it was split between the 2 of them and a German and French Canadian chick. Well that the 2 girls decided to cook a Moroccan meal for the lady who rented them the place plus 2 Moroccan guys they Moroccan guys they met. So we got invited too which was cool as love Chicken Tagine (it's a Moroccan style stew that's cooked in a special tagine clay pot so the food becomes nicely cooked in it's own steam on the stove top as few have ovens). The Moroccan lady ended up cooking the Tagine cus they know the right spices to add to the chicken Tagine to make it so tasty! So hung around there having some Moroccan wine which one of guys brought and having some smoke which Mathjis and I supplied. Hell thought it was a cool evening chilling in this cool apt but the guys wanted to head to a bar (can't see there being a bar) with live music at 1 am. So thought I'd stop in my room to get some shoes on. But shit my hotel locked it's doors at 1 am so wouldn't be able to come back in so decided couldn't go out and get back in. So the others went with out me but that was cool cus had drank wine and smoked a whole bunch of hash so was pre!tty well set for the count with out going to a bar. But live music if there was any would have been cool. Of course everyone listens to Reggae in some version which I love as bought 2 African reggae cd's here. Hell one reason I want to check out Daka.r in Senegal is the live music scene

No comments:

Followers