Where am I?

Created this blog to document my travels, experiences & thoughts thru Central & South America but hell plan to blog my travels to where ever. Goofy harmless Free Spirit hoping to spend most of my time with locals & enjoy the world! So hang on as I travel, drink cervezas, raise a little hell, maybe piss off a few people & hopefully not give Canadians a bad reputation! Of course don't do these things on purpose but while having a good time well "Shit Happens"!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Got tired of all the tourists in Cusco so left for Bolivia to hang out in La Paz!

Well it's never too late & I'm amazed that I could still remember as I'm finally doing the rest of my blogs on my trip to Central & South America!!!

Peru has so many awesome things yo do & sights to explore that I probably didn't do it justice. But after going to a Jungle village near Brazil for an Ayawaska ceremony, a couple of Beaches, Machu Pichu, Lake Titicaca & Cusco well had enough of so many tourist sites!

There are 4 Loki Hostel located in Lima, Cusco, Mancora in Peru & La Paz in Bolivia. It's strange cuz I never really want to stay in the Loki in the first place cuz it's a bit more expensive & a party hostel. So my French buddy Thomas & I stayed in family run hostel the first time we went to Lima & it was cool! But I was to meet up with Martina, a Polish friend of mine, & she was staying there, so I stayed there too! Now it's a cool place with a bar & happy hour every night so u could say drinking & late night partying is the norm! The problem is when a person stays in 1 Loki Hostel it's so easy to have them book u into the ones in Cusco or La Paz (stayed in another hostel in Mancora). So stayed in the Loki Hostel in Cusco & got right into the scene! It seems everyone enjoys the Loki bar until it closes & then head out to whatever bar or club!

But after Machu Pichu well I parted ways with my 2 English doctor friends and headed to La Paz, Bolivia to check it out! My thought was to check out Bolivia but my mistake was staying at the Loki Hostel. Cuz met a lot of cool ppl who led me astray ha ha!!


La Paz is not a bad city as there is a lot to do there and in the surrounding area. However by now I was losing interest in doing the touristy sites, etc. There was the bike ride down Death Highway which was a big attraction. But I thought it was a bit expensive and the highway had been changed. It wasn't as dangerous as before as the on coming traffic was no longer concern. So I thought it was a lot of money to pay for a ride which wasn't as dangerous now!
There was also the trek to the jungle but I had spent time in the jungle in Peru! The trek to the Salt Flats was another trip I wanted to make but it was farther south in Bolivia so thought I'd take it when I headed south!

So what did that leave me but to spend 10 days in La Paz! during this time I only left the hostel 3 times during the day! There 2 times going to 2 different markets & one time for Indian lunch (which was my breakfast as had just woken up at 3 pm) with ppl from the hostel
Matter of fact I usually slept from 7 am to 5 pm to eat dinner at the bar. Then we'd all hang out with other travellers, drink until we closed the bar in the hostel. Then a bunch would head out to different after hr bars or clubs!

One thing I really enjoyed was ppl I met there in the Loki Hostel! I got to know most of the travellers working in the bar. They all worked in the bar to get free board and room! There was Olga (she was always smiling & so friendly) from Poland, Laura (was on the same plane as me to BA) & Justin from the US, Marcus from Sweden who had stayed there so long that he finally took a job at the bar & a bunch of other cool ppl from Aussie, UK and other countries.

One of the highlights to me was watching a Bolivian Pink Floyd copy band & enjoyed it so much we went 2 nights in a row! Marcus had organized it all plus was the source of some good weed! He had got a Ki of it for an awesome price & didn't mind sharing it. So we spent a lot of time on the roof as we indulged. Also met Rob a fellow Canadian who was about to start his medical career! Well for a doctor he liked to indulge and party like a rock star! There was one night we both decided to not go to a late night bar or club! We should have cuz we stayed in the hostel with a few others. Someone supplied a little C, someone some hard liquor and finally to add to this was Robb and a oxygen bottle! This bottle had ended up in the hostel as the night before one of the girls had an Epileptic Seizure after drinking too much at a bar. So I guess they use oxygen to revive her & also La Paz is located at a high altitude! So when we combined all the necessary ingredients we ended up having one hell of a party that carried on until 7 am.

But I decided that I needed a change of scenery to get out of the sleep all day & party all night routine! So one day I decided to leave La Paz and fly to Buenas Aires as I didn't want o spend 3 days on a bus!

No comments:

Followers